Valutazione discussione:
  • 0 voto(i) - 0 media

Consigli dal Camp (Luglio 2019)

Citazione:Sometimes your characters will want to choose difficult or inconvenient things. It’s all right. Let them go ahead. Later you can decide whether that fits in with the story arc or belongs elsewhere. There is no need to maintain perfection in your writing world. In fact, I find letting the characters wander around alternate storylines very helpful. Even if you never use the material, it adds richness and depth to the world—you will know whether character A is really the sort of person to do x and y!.
Yangsze Choo
Cita messaggio

Citazione:I am a very slow writer. It took me 5 years to write my first novel, The Ghost Bride, and then 4 years for The Night Tiger. Before that I spent 8 years writing another novel about an elephant detective that didn’t go anywhere. So don’t worry about taking time to write. Everybody has their own personal rhythm.
Yangsze Choo
Cita messaggio

Citazione:Try to finish something. It doesn’t have to be a full-length novel—for years I only wrote short stories, never thinking I could manage a novel—but I do think it is good for the practice of writing (and we are always learning, with each new draft) to actually finish a piece, no matter how short it is. Completing a short story, a poem, or a play etc. is a helpful experience in writing endings and conclusions. Plus, it takes the terror/mystique away from completing projects!
Yangsze Choo
Cita messaggio

Citazione:The act of writing is to create, and sometimes it's easier to let that urge manifest itself in other ways, if you feel stuck. Draw, knit, cook, fix a bike, plant a garden, or make something with your hands—whatever renews you. It is often through doing something else that I feel rejuvenated about writing. Don’t force it. The flow will come back to you.
Yangsze Choo
Cita messaggio

Citazione:If you feel your book is dragging, perhaps this is a sign that the slow bits aren’t necessary. I think that readers can tell when the writer has lost interest in the narrative—from my own experience, those parts of the novel that I’ve particularly enjoyed writing are often the most alive and vivid. Don’t be afraid to cut. Passages often find new life in other settings. I keep all sorts of loose thoughts and sentences in a Word doc while I’m working on a book. It’s rather like having a bin of extra ideas!
Yangsze Choo
Cita messaggio

Vai al forum:

Utenti che stanno guardando questa discussione: 2 Ospite(i)